A web developer is a programmer who specializes in the development of world wide web applications using client-server model. A developer builds a website from the bottom up which means designing it in such a way that end users have no difficulty navigating the site. There are three types of web developers: front-end, back-end and full stack developer.
- Backend developers are responsible for the overall technical construction of the website. They create the basic framework of the site and ensure that it works as expected. They write a variety of server side scripts using different languages but not limited to PHP, ASP.Net, Django, Nodejs,Perl etc.
- Full-stack developers have a complete in-depth understanding of both front and back-end development (languages) and how they work, which means that they are perfectly positioned to oversee the entire process allowing them to build efficient and effective programs for all parts of the website.
Common Web development terms:
A Web Developer must have experience in the planning and the delivery of web applications across multiple platforms. A typical Web Developer job description should cover:
- Writing efficient code
- collaborating with project managers to determine if a product meets its budget, design and scope.
- troubleshooting everyday problems that affect website capabilities and functions.
- maintaining exceptional time management skills to complete a myriad of daily duties
- communicating regularly, verbally and orally with management, clients, designers and colleagues
- applying security protocols to web development and mobile applications
- designing graphics using Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver
- accessing cloud software to work remotely or to check on your colleagues’ additions or revisions
- attending workshops to boost your skills and learn about the newest technologies
- Work with graphics and other designers to determine the website's layout
- Integrate graphics, audio, and video into the website
- Monitor website traffic
As a web developer, you should have experience in- elements such as:
- Coding languages including HTML and CSS
- Back-end web programing languages such as PHP, C#, Java, Python and Ruby
- Web servers and how they function
- An understanding of SEO(search engine optimization)
- User experience (UX)
- User interface (UI)
- Design software like Photoshop and Illustrator and Sketch
Besides the above mentioned requirements, you need the following skills as a web developer:
- Strong creative ability,
- Able to develop ideas and processes and clearly express them.
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Dedicated team player.
Anyone can become a web developer. You do not need to possess a never-ending list of formal qualifications. The tech world has changed, employers now care more about skills over grades, as long as you are passionate about the field and willing to learn, a career in web development is well within your reach.